Monday, October 1, 2007

Meat Market

September 16, 2007

This morning I went to the local bazaar with my host parents. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it! The only thing that I can kind of relate it to is the Wentzville Flea Market but even at that they are two totally different things. So we pull up to the bazaar and outside the main wall there a bunch of people selling live-stock, cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits and sheep. You know, pick out your Christmas dinner take it home and fatten it up a little! So once inside the main wall there are people and stands everywhere. People are walking around with chickens or rabbits hanging upside down that they just bought. There is a large outdoor meat market. There was tons of meat hanging from hooks, row after row, sides of a cow, slabs of ribs, and large pieces of meat. The butchers were cutting the meat into manageable pieces and you could see small chunks of bone go flying as the he chopped away. People were picking out their meat for the upcoming week’s meals. This brings a whole new meaning to running to the local meat market to pick up some fresh steaks for dinner! The amount of raw meat doesn’t compare to anything that I have ever seen before. At first I almost thought I was going to get sick at the sight of all the raw meat and blood but I didn’t. If I had it might have made for a really difficult 2 years of going to the market! So after I made it through that section the rest of the bazaar was stands of fruits and vegetables, cheese, bread and other random household items! It was quit a sight to see everybody walking around with large bags of fresh produce. You know bags large enough to hold 10-15 kilos of peppers, tomatoes or whatever you just picked up! I am only used to going to the produce stand at home and getting 2 pounds of tomatoes at time.

No comments: