Friday, February 22, 2008

No Electricity and Frozen Pipes

February 21, 2008

So the pipes are still frozen in Sighnaghi. And now we don't have electricity. Apparently when it gets really windy here it knocks the power out. We have been without electric for 2 days now. It's not so bad during the day because its bright enough to see to read and write. In the evenings well there isn't much to do besides sit and stare at one another in the candlelight! I know it sounds fun and you wish you could do it too. It's totally different when the electric goes out in the states. It usually only goes out because there was a really bad storm or there was an accident and the lines will be repaired in the very near future. Usually you are only without for a few hours at most. Here it's not like the power lines are great and they probably haven't been replaced since before Georgia was a part of the Soviet Union. Of course it's not uncommon here for the electric company to turn off all the electric in an apartment complex because somebody hasn't paid their electric bill. I have a friend who recently lived through 3 weeks of no electricity because somebody didn't pay their electric bill in the apartment complex. Imagine if the electric company did that in the US. Thank goodness it doesn't work that way.

On a side note I'm currently without email at my site & not because we don't have electricity either. When the host family moved from the house here in Sighnaghi they had the service disconnected. And my office doesn't have Internet service right now either. I'm told we might get it again in March, but I'm not going to hold my breath. So at this point I only have Internet access when I make it to Tbilisi. So know that I'm doing well and I'm still alive if you haven't heard from me in awhile. Remember I'm not in America and things don't work the same way here!

No comments: